My webhost is making me nuts.
I tried loading up SOB in my browser this evening, and discovered that the domain was unreachable. After confirming with Sterling (of Chip’s Quips fame) that it wasn’t just me, I gave the webhost a call. This is a summary of what the tech support drone told me:
- The server that hosts my account is down.
- It’s a known issue.
- The technicians are working on it.
- They don’t know when it will be up again.
I asked why the server was down. He told me it was because it was overloaded — bandwidth issues, presumably.
He had two suggestions to offer as ways to deal with this, as a customer of the webhost:
- Check again in the morning to see if the server’s up again.
- Have them move my account to another server.
Here’s the downside of option 2:
- It would take 24-48 hours for the site to be up again.
- The new server setup would not have any of my configuration, email accounts, or data on it. I’d have to rebuild everything from scratch.
I went with option 1, with the follow-on that as soon as it becomes practical to do so, I’ll move this domain to a different webhost. These guys suck. It’s pretty sad, really — four years ago, they were the best low-end webhost I could find. Now, they’re among the worst of those with whom I’ve ever done business. I guess they’re still better than Geocities, though.
note: Obviously, the server seems to be up again if you’re reading this. It was intermittent for a bit, and now (as I post this) seems to be steadily running. If you experience downtime for SOB in the next day, give or take, it’s probably related this SNAFU.